Thursday, September 8, 2022

The Best Internet Service is ... (the one I already have, plus my phone hotspot?)

 I am visiting my wife's family in SW Michigan; they have Xfinity (aka Comcast) internet service. Late evening Wednesday night I was up discussing books with my niece and tried my computer on the wifi network in their home.


I have been using the "speed test" that just comes up when you Google "speed test" to tell when my home (T-Mobile) needs a reboot, which sometimes it does once or twice a day. But I tried it on the Michigan Xfinity service and wow, 100 megabit download; 50 upload! Really fast DNS response (one of the problems with T-Mobile) ... I said to myself: I'm getting this when I get back to Seattle!


But! Then I tried it at "prime time" (6:30 pm local time) and it ... crawled. Oh, right: Comcast back end infrastructure is shared among all users ... and Comcast has apparently oversold it based on the back end equipment they have. I was trying to do a timesheet for my job, which I do online every Friday night. I couldn't get it to respond even at 10pm ...


I then looked at Astound (formerly Xwave) ... but their online reviews were terrible ... multiday outages way too often!




I finally resorted to my phone (a Google Pixel 6) hotspot, which peaks at about 10Mb/second, got done what I needed to do, and turned it off!



So: T-Mobile is not shared and plenty fast enough when it doesn't need to be rebooted (despite slow-ish DNS response sometimes) ... so I guess I'll stick with that, of course with my phone hotspot as backup.


 

No comments: