Monday, September 7, 2020

Why I support "Medicare for All"

 I have been mostly a contract computer programmer for the last 10+ years. Instead of their being a reasonable alternative health care alternative for that period, I've mostly just been buying health insurance with each job; usually this is less than $200 per month.

But this year I've been out of work since July 20, and once again the silly little company I was working for didn't offer COBRA, the law requiring most companies to offer a continuation of coverage to employees after they leave jobs.

This is the second time this has happened in 4 years; in this case the crummy little plan the employer offered was something I might have passed on anyway. But it's a stupid patchwork sort of system that is no match for the issue of the day:



If we have this underlying medical insurance for everybody, then I am not left without insurance any time ... 

But won't this break the bank?

No. I recently read a book on Modern Monetary Theory that made sense to me. I think we're plenty rich enough in the U.S. to do this without sparking inflation.


Readers (all two of you)? What do you think?




No comments: