Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Apple News destruction of Texture leads me to a free alternative

I was pitched by Amazon about 18 months ago to try this digital Magazine app Texture:
I tried it an it was worthwhile ... $10 per month for digital magazine copies of several magazines that I was getting already at a significantly higher price for the print version.

Unfortunately, Apple bought Texture and killed it in favor of its own "Apple News +"


I didn't like it half as well; not only did it not keep some of the magazines I was getting from Texture, its interface was just lots of individual stories that you can read individually.

I like getting an issue of a magazine or newspaper so I can know when I'm DONE!

I happened to be in one of our fabulous local King County Libraries and saw an ad for another app called RBDigital with magazines:


I cancelled Apple News + and am just using this now. It's not perfect: the interface is a little clunky and not as nice as Texture's ... but it's free.

It's not a perfect replacement; it doesn't carry some magazines that Texture did, notably the Atlantic Monthly. But it carries some magazines that Texture didn't, too:


It doesn't have the 'modern interface' that Texture and Conde Nast promote: navigation horizontal, stories vertical. Instead it's just copies closely turning a print magazine page.

This OK with me, especially at this price point!

Happy reading ...


No comments: