Thursday, December 3, 2015

Sorry, Cricket: Project Fi is too compelling!

A coworker introduced me to Google's Project Fi:

I had read about this briefly but missed the big advantages:

  • Refunds of fees for unused data from your data plan
  • Make your phone a wifi hotspot at no extra charge beyond the extra data
The plan takes advantage of dual-network phones, currently the Nexus 5X and 6P. These use the wifi network if available, otherwise the stronger of the two of Sprint (CDMA) or T-Mobile (GSM).

The combination of these feature is too compelling to ignore, as I have been paying AT&T $51 per month for their wifi hotspot for over a year. I can turn that off and buy the (required) new Nexus 5X to replace my current Nexus 5 and be still ahead of the game paying off the new phone
$17/month.

I'm just waiting for my invitation as they are apparently rolling this out a few people at a time.

Try it yourself: http://fi.google.com.

No comments: