Monday, January 23, 2023

Scanners don't work across the net for Macs, but Linux is fine (after a driver update for Linux)

 We are on our second recent printer ... the first one was the underwhelming Epson Ecotank 2850:



It sort of worked ... stopped printing and needed to be restarted every time it ran out of paper, scan wouldn't work across the network at all reliably (I may have gotten this to sort of work once on the Macintosh) ... generally a disappointment.

I fortunately got the scan to work on my Linux machine ... more about this one later.

We ordered a "real" printer ... a Brother HL3290CDW ..



This is a newer version of one we used pretty hard for 5 years: MFCsomethingCDW it uses a 4-drum toner system that took a bit more effort than the Epson to get working but works reliably on printing with none of the glitches of the Epson.

But! Scanning from this one to the Macintosh (standard Mac System Preferences) doesn't work either!

This one also works with Linux to scan, but I remember now that there was this "control center" software for the Mac that worked but had a terrible UI and I couldn't expect my nontech wife to use it as she's the mac user left in play ... 

But now there's a new one listed: Brother iPrint&Scan ... looks as though it's had a better UI team than the computer programmers that had control of the last one:


This should make my wife be able to scan happily (I hope!)


No comments: